223984 Bullies, 3868 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    10/27/2004 8:41pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

14th November N.S.W. BJJ Federation 3RD LEG NSW BJJ CIRCUIT, Sydney

Despite being an utter BJJ n00b, I will be in this comp.

Anybody else going to be around?

Its the 3rd leg of the New South Wales (Australia) BJJ tourney. My organisation, Roots BJJ, is currently second place, behind the Machados and in front of the Gracies.

At the last leg in September, I think Elvic Sinosec was a judge there. A ginuwyne celebritee!

It will be a Sydney Uni. If anyone is interested in coming along to watch I will post more details when I know them.

Did I hear that you guys sell bullshido patches? I'm looking to liven up my gi...

Will try to post some pictures. Wish me luck...
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2004 9:24pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tear it up! Coming out of my first tournament with a gold, I feel obligated to tell everyone else to just get out there and compete. It's fun stuff!

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    10/27/2004 9:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks - Gold in your first comp eh... You've set quite a standard...

:)

I am really looking forward to it. All of the people I train with are either much heavier than me or much more skilled. So I just can't wait to get it on with people the same size as me who aren't leagues ahead of me in terms of skill...

The plan is to train really hard rolling for 2 weeks, then lay off a little for the week leading up and work more on fitness and technique. How does that sound?

Any other advice?
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/27/2004 10:17pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My main advice is that when you compete, DO WHAT YOU KNOW.

Now that might sound like an obvious statement, but there is this strange thing that comes over people when they compete, and I saw it happen with my teammates at this recent tournament: They try to do new things, things they aren't good at, things they still need to drill. They would try 3 different guards they aren't good at, they would attempt submissions they've never tried before, they try to be dynamic and exciting and they would just end up getting beat. You don't want to be trying to "expand your game" or "work on this move" DURING THE TOURNAMENT. Do that in training when it doesn't matter.

I won my fights because I trained hard at the things I know, and for a week before the tournament, I didn't learn anything new. I actually actively avoided learning anything new and exciting, just so my mind would be focused on the stuff I do know. I just drilled my basics and my mainstays, and sparred, and sparred, and sparred, and drilled, and sparred some more.

Then in the tournament, I just ran through my normal techniques and look what it got me. :eusa_danc

On a related note, here's something else that occurred to me: Right before competition, it seems a lot of guys try to suddenly cram a bunch of new stuff, as if they need to learn new advanced stuff to win. I almost had an urge to do this, but I stopped and just said to myself "I might not know that much, but I do know enough to beat any other white belt" and I just continued to train the things I already knew.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 10/27/2004 10:30pm at .

Posted On:
    10/27/2004 10:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds good.

I'm going to concentrate on passing the guard, sweeps, spider guard, takedowns, armbar and triangle from guard, americana from mount or side control, armbar from mount, and a couple of gi chokes. Also got to keep moving, remembering I score points for good positioning...

I am excited.
    Scramble Stuff

Posted On:
    10/28/2004 1:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TTT for the Aussies.........

Damn Kangaroo-eating drongos.
    Scramble Stuff

lord of the glen

Posted On:
    10/28/2004 2:03am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good luck

-stupid fucking ten character limit-
    CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 11:18pm

Style: bjj and hitting stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice!

First tourney I'm assuming, how much experience do you have?

Posted On:
    10/31/2004 11:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only a few months in BJJ, and yes, my first tourney.

Should be fun! Most of my club is competing, so it is going to be good.
    Scramble Stuff

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    11/01/2004 7:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck, DON'T FORGET THE VIDS! :D
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast